Thursday 19 January 2017

Algonquin Park Live Cam: Moose Carcass

For those of you who are not aware, there is a live camera perched on the roof of the Algonquin Park visitor center. It broadcasts the happenings in the valley below the observation deck year round.


January 18th, 2017

Recently, they put out a moose carcass that they found in mid-December. Although the carcass wasn't touched for the first few days, activity has really picked up. So far I've seen Red Foxes, Common Ravens, Fishers, and most recently, Eastern Wolves.

The cam has this cool function where you can take a screen shot of the live feed, and I've been taking full advantage of it. The only species I haven't been able to get a decent capture of is Fisher.

Here are some of my cropped captures:

Eastern Wolf (Jan. 18)

Common Ravens (Jan. 18)

Red Fox (Jan. 17)

Red Fox (Jan. 17)

Red Fox (Jan. 17)

Common Ravens and Eastern Wolves (Jan. 18)
Common Ravens and Eastern Wolves (Jan. 18)
Common Ravens and Eastern Wolves (Jan. 18)
Red Fox (Jan 18.)

Red Fox (Jan. 18)

The live feed is quite fun (and addicting) to watch. It's also a great way to pass the time. I would definitely recommend checking it out!
Algonquin Park Live Webcam

Also, I plan to be in Algonquin on February 11th and 12th. While the main purpose of the trip is to see winter finches and Gray Jays, I'm hoping I can add a few mammal species to my life list as well!

Additional Links that you may find interesting:
Feeder Friday - Live from Algonquin (January 20, February 10, and February 24)
Winter Finch Forecast 2016-2017
Algonquin Birding Report
Pack of Wolves on Moose Carcass in Algonquin (2010)

3 comments:

  1. I was at Algonquin this weekend so I saw the carcass. I didn't realize there was a cam until yesterday... I think I'm addicted too! It's super birdy and awesome up there at the moment, good luck for February! Check out my latest post if you want to know what I saw. -Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you had a great weekend! Hopefully I'll be able to catch up with all the winter finches, Gray Jays, and mammals!

      Delete
  2. I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! live cam

    ReplyDelete