Friday 3 November 2017

Patch Birding

Long time, no post! I have not had much to write about lately...

The past few weeks I have been hanging around my neighbourhood. It is surprisingly good for birds, despite the fact that 80% of it is developed. I didn't bring my camera with me (with the exception of today), so photos are lacking, but the story is there!

I have had a decent number of raptors, including Red-tailed Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper's Hawk, Turkey Vulture, and Golden Eagle.

I am starting to see many more Dark-eyed Juncos and American Tree Sparrows...winter is coming!

I been able to add a number of birds to my patch list as well, including Golden Eagle, Redhead, American Black Duck, Herring Gull, and Cackling Goose.

I have also come across the expected species for this time of year...Rusty Blackbird, kinglets, White-throated Sparrows, Pine Siskins, and a cooperative Orange-crowned Warbler.

I also submitted my 500th Ontario complete eBird checklist of the year.

Highlights from today include a Redhead which has been around for over a week, a Cackling Goose, White-throated Sparrows, and a trio of Rusty Blackbirds. It was quite quiet today!

Redhead

White-throated Sparrow

Rusty Blackbirds

Hopefully I will have something more interesting to write about before the weekend is over!

3 comments:

  1. Nice to see you posting again, Quinten! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered why we had not seen a blog post recently!
    Hopefully you will see something today (Sunday), assuming you went with the annual Nature London field trip.

    ReplyDelete