Monday 12 March 2018

Weekend Wrap-up

This past weekend was quite eventful. On Saturday I birded Komoka Provincial Park. It was relativity quiet, but I was able to find a sizable group of robins, some Golden-crowned Kinglets, White-tailed Deer, and my first Pileated Woodpecker of the year.

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Afterwards I went to Kilally Meadows, because I had a hunch that there'd be some American Woodcocks. It wasn't long until I found four displaying males, my 100th species for the year.

Yesterday we were in the Hamilton region, so we spent a couple hours birding in the area.

We first checked out LaSalle park in Burlington, where were saw dozens of Trumpeter Swans and Mute Swans.

Trumpeter Swan

Trumpeter Swan

Trumpeter Swan

Trumpeter Swan

Mute Swan

A couple other ducks were around as well.

American Black Duck

Greater Scaup

Wood Duck

I also managed to find my first Horned Grebe and Red-necked Grebe of the year in the bay.

Afterwards we made a quick stop to check out the huge group of Ring-billed Gulls.


I stopped into Windermere Basin to see what was around. It was fairly quiet (or maybe I just didn't look hard because it was cold and windy)

Lesser Scaup

Ruddy Duck

Our last stop was to look for Short-eared Owls near Stoney Creek. Although we didn't find the owls, we did mange to find a Snowy Owl, an American Woodcock, and duetting Great Horned Owls. Great way to end the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment