Thursday 30 May 2019

Lambton Lepidoptera

Last Sunday my dad and I made a trip to Lambton shores with hopes of coming across a number of early flying butterflies.

After a brief stop into Kettle Point, we went to the Ipperwash Dunes and Swales. Some neat plants, but no butterflies. Also of interest was a singing Hooded Warbler.

Gaywings (Polygala paucifolia)

Starflower (Trientalis borealis)

Hairy Solomon's Seal (Polygonatum pubescens)

Royal Fern (Osmunda regalis)

Red Columbine (Aquilegia canadensis)

Partridgeberry (Mitchella repens)

Afterwards, we went to the Karner Blue sanctuary in Port Franks. I heard that this is an excellent spot for duskywings (Erynnis sp.), and it was! I saw four species; Juvenal's, Wild Indigo, Columbine, and Sleepy. Sleepy Duskywing is a very rare species in Ontario.

Sleepy Duskywing

Wild Indigo Duskywing

Columbine Duskywing

Juvenal's Duskywing

I also saw an Eastern Pine Elfin at the sanctuary.


Next up was the Pinery. We went straight out to the beaches, where I quickly found both of my targets, Brown Elfin and Hoary Elfin.

Brown Elfin

Hoary Elfin

I also heard a Prairie Warbler singing at P4, which is just a bit down the beach from where I saw them last year at P9.

There were a couple neat tiger beetles along the beach as well, Big Sand and LeConte's (a subspecies of Festive Tiger Beetle).

Big Sand Tiger Beetle

LeConte's Tiger Beetle

Last stop was Cedar trail. I was hoping for Dusted Skipper, but turns out that the skipper spot was down the trail extension, which I didn't bother to go down! Arrgh, next time.

Eastern Tent Caterpillars 

All in all, a nice outing, and despite my misses of Olympia Marble, Dusted Skipper, and Dreamy Duskywing, I saw five new-to-me species of butterflies!

No comments:

Post a Comment