Friday 7 June 2019

Sedge Surprise

Yesterday afternoon I decided to go for a quick walk at the Kelly Stanton Environmental Significant Area in London. The plan was to look for plants, something that I am finding I quite enjoy!

I found a couple of my "target" species pretty quickly.

Nodding Bulrush (Scirpus pendulus)

Robin's-plantain (Erigeron pulchellus)

As well as a couple butterflies.

Common Ringlet

Little Wood Saytr

At one point, I felt as though I was going the wrong way, so I decided to try and double back and reorientate myself. I found a trail which I thought may have been the right one, and began to make my way on it, through a nice meadow. As I was walking, all of a sudden I heard a song which was familiar, but I couldn't place it. It sung again, and I knew it would be something good. It sung again, and it clicked...could it be? Yes it was!

It my surprise, I came across two singing Sedge Wrens! Its a species that I've been on the lookout for in the county for awhile, but today was not the day I was expecting to come across one (or two!). Both were quite vocal, and the habitat is suitable (and in no danger of being cut...I hope), so it seems likely that they will stick around for at least a little bit, and perhaps breed if a female shows up, or perhaps there is already a female hiding somewhere in the long grass.

As I was looking for plants, I had an inadequate lens, but at least you can tell what it is. It was singing at my feet at one point, but the grass is so dense, no pics of that one!


As it turned out, the way I had gone originally was in fact the correct way. Good thing I had gotten "lost"!

After that excitement, I went on to see what else I could find.  I believe this is Lake Sedge (Carex lacustris).


Other than the wren, my favourite find was these Yellow Lady's Slippers (Cypripedium parviflorum)



I found a dead Wild Turkey, and on it were several carrion beetles, such as these American Carrion Beetles.



All in all, I'd say it was a very nice outing, especially with that completed unexpected surprise find!

Let this be your reminder to check yourself after walking through long grass...


1 comment:

  1. Nice write-up, Quinten! Congrats on the find of the Sedge Wren! I had no luck today.

    ReplyDelete