Friday 21 June 2019

Bogged Down

I had a pretty good outing today, so I figure I'd share it!  (Oh yeah, and school's out, I'm on summer break now!)

My destination today was Sifton Bog, here in London. It is a pretty special place botanically. Its a northern peat bog in the middle of the city!

Purple Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia purpurea) is a pretty common plant in the bog, but this was the first time I have ever seen them in flower!


Sedges (Carex spp.) were fairly abundant. I have managed to ID a few.

Tall Bog Sedge (Carex magellanica)

Hoary Sedge (Carex canescens)

Three-seeded Sedge (Carex trisperma)

Bristly Sedge (Carex comosa)

This year there has been a large northward push of Painted Skimmers. Just yesterday I was thinking about the possibility of running into one today, and low and behold, there was one! It took me an hour and a half before I finally was able to snap a photo.


I saw another lifer dragonfly too! While working my way through the bog, I noticed a smaller darner (in comparison to the Common Green Darners). I couldn't believe it...the darner had blue eyes!

The only darner in Ontario with blue eyes is Spatterdock Darner, which is fairly rare, but I think it is increasing, perhaps due to more coverage. I couldn't net it, but I managed an identifiable pic.


It wasn't completely unexpected, as the Spatterdock (Nuphar advena) is fairly abundant in the bog.


I also saw a couple species of orchids.

Tuberosus Grasspink (Calopogon tuberosus)

Rose Poginia (Pogonia ophioglossoides)

As well as Round-leaved Sundew (Drosera rotundifolia).


Certainly a place to check out again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment