Tuesday 5 May 2020

Early May Migrants

Things have been slow to show up so far this spring, and I can only anticipate things won't be exactly hurrying to get here by the looks of the weather forecast! Nevertheless, I have gotten out every day for at least a couple hours to see what is out and about.

The first couple days of May were a bit disappointing to say the least. A few new things came in here and there, but for the most part it was quiet. May 2nd especially!

Yellow Warbler

A few hawks were moving through on the first and second.

Broad-winged Hawk

Red-tailed Hawks

Some of the local species posed for photos. Its getting to that time of year where we're seeing baby waterfowl again.

Red-winged Blackbird

Canada Geese
Mallard

Turkey Vulture

I've found a screech-owl that seems to be hanging around. It offered a decent photo op.


The Virginia Rails I first found a couple weeks ago are still hanging around. They've been coming out in the open more, but that doesn't mean they are easy to photograph (especially in the low light conditions of early in the morning).

Vroom
May 3rd finally saw some "good" movement, and was my first day I hit 60 species in a morning in my neighborhood this year. Hopefully that result will be duplicated several more times this May!

Savannah Sparrow

There was a slightly early Lincoln's Sparrow, which was fun to see.


I had a couple more Great Black-backed Gulls fly overhead.


I FINALLY saw my first of year Palm Warblers on the third as well. Took long enough!


This morning things weren't looking great, with temperatures below zero first thing. Despite this, I went out early. I am sure glad I did! It wasn't crazy with new songbird migrants, but I did manage six warbler species (Nashville, Black-throated Green, Yellow-rumped, Yellow, Palm, and Common Yellowthroat).

Yellow-rumped "Myrtle" Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Baltimore Orioles and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks have arrived within the last few days. I saw my first Ruby-throated Hummingbird a couple days ago as well.

Baltimore Oriole

Sparrows are coming through, mostly White-throateds, but more and more White-crowneds have been showing up as well.

White-crowned Sparrow

Perhaps the biggest highlight was the good migration of Common Loons. I tallied a grand total of 299! I only fell one short of 300!!


Another highlight was getting to watch a Bald Eagle pursue an Osprey that had caught a large catfish. American Crows were also in hot pursuit.





Well, that's it for now. Hopefully some more birds coming our way!

No comments:

Post a Comment