Saturday 31 March 2018

April Fowl's Day Came Early

I would have ideally liked to have saved that title for tomorrow, but I doubt I will be able to get out, so today will have to do!

This afternoon I went to the Strathroy Sewage Lagoons to have a look around. There were quite a few ducks on the ponds.


The majority were Ring-necked Ducks.


Buffleheads were also numerous.


There were a couple Tundra Swans present.


But wait a minute...that left bird looks odd...

It is a Trumpeter Swan!


There was another pair of Trumpeter Swans as well.


Trumpeter Swans are pretty rare to Middlesex county, so I was happy to be able to find three on the same pond!

There was a variety of other ducks, such as Northern Shovelers, Green-winged Teal, Lesser Scaup, Greater Scaup, Redhead, Common Goldeneye, Gadwall, American Wigeon, and my first Blue-winged Teals of the year.

Lesser Scaup

Blue-winged Teals

There was also a Horned Grebe and American Coot.

Horned Grebe

American Coot

Just as I was about to leave I spied a male Red-breasted Merganser, another good bird for Middlesex.


Great early spring outing!

1 comment: