Wednesday 13 December 2017

Some Snow Birds

Today was (another) snow day, so I decided to take advantage of my time off school, and go for a little hike on one of my favourite trails in the area.

Although they had forecasted 5-10 cm of snow, we got a dumping of at least 30 cm. It made for slow walking. I was hoping that we wouldn't get this much snow...I have CBC routes this weekend of about 6.5 and 10 km!



It was a bit slow at first, but it soon picked up. Northern Cardinals, Black-capped Chickadees, American Goldfinches, and House Sparrows were most numerous.

Northern Cardinal (male)

Northern Cardinal (female)

House Sparrow

American Goldfinch

Also present were a couple of White-breasted and Red-breasted Nuthatches, a House Finch, and an American Tree Sparrow.

White-breasted Nuthatch

American Tree Sparrow

House Finch

All in all, a nice little outing...can't wait till the weekend!

Christmas Bird Count Season starts in a couple hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment