Friday 16 June 2017

Dickcissels to Dragonflies

Today I decided to check out a few locations around home. The first was south of London on Scotland Drive. There has been a recent influx of Dickcissels lately in Ontario, and a few had been reported in the previous days.

It didn't take long to find a couple Horned Larks.


Soon after the larks, we found a singing Dickcissel (DICK). The DICK can be identified by it's yellow breast and rufous back. The males have a black "bib". DICKs have been invading Ontario, in particular southern Ontario, in numbers that were likely unprecedented.


After the first one flushed due to a passing truck, I continued up the road where I found this bird on a wire. It was very cooperative.


This isn't cropped at all.


A third was found back near where I left the truck, and the first bird was back to the field where I had originally spotted it. The field doesn't appear to be a crop of any kind, so it is likely that, as long as it isn't cut, the Dickcissels will stay and attempt to nest.


It soon flew up into a tree, which is where I left it.


I went to Weldon Park in Arva after lunch, which can be a great spot for dragonflies.


It took awhile, but I did eventually catch my first dragonfly...a Dot-tailed Whiteface.


A few more missed before I nabbed a Common (Eastern) Pondhawk.


I was unable to catch this guy, but it's a Unicorn Clubtail.


I was finally able to get a Common Whitetail after dozens of attempts.



Heading into the woods, I found a Rose-breasted Grosbeak and a couple American Redstarts.


The introduced European Skipper was seen.


To top off the day, I saw my first Silver-spotted Skippers of the year.


Tomorrow should prove to be exciting...stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. An interesting outing.
    Now you have us waiting in anticipation of Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say that if all goes well, I'll see a White-winged Dove ;-)

      Delete