Monday 22 July 2019

Eight Down, Two to Go

As you may recall, last August I published a post about my quest to seeing all of Ontario's Meadowhawk (Sympetrum spp), which is my favourite genus of dragonfly. Of the ten species, only eight can really be expected to be seen by any given enthusiast, as the two other species, Blue-faced and Red-veined Meadowhawk had only been recorded a couple of times each, at the most.

Back then, I had seen six out of the ten species.

Autumn Meadowhawk

Band-winged Meadowhawk

Ruby Meadowhawk

Cherry-faced Meadowhawk

White-faced Meadowhawk

Saffron-winged Meadowhawk

After my excursion on James Bay last summer, I picked up a seventh species.

Black Meadowhawk
Black Meadowhawk is arguably my favourite ode!

Finally, a couple weeks ago, I caught up with my eighth species of Sympetrum. Variegated Meadowhawk in Toronto. Unfortunately, it was not very cooperative.


It was pretty exciting to complete my set of the expected Ontario species. The hunt is on for the rarer ones now! (Or in a few years when I have the time and resources)

No comments:

Post a Comment