Tuesday 20 February 2018

Blackbird Bonanza!

This morning started like any other school day. I got up, went and ate breakfast, then walked to my bus stop. On the walk, I couldn't help but notice just how mild it was. I made a mental note to go look for blackbirds after school, because I just knew that today would be the day they started their advance into my neighborhood.

I waited at the bus stop for five minutes, completely alone. I waited a bit longer before getting a text from my mom saying that the buses had a two hour fog delay. I guess I would get to go look for blackbirds sooner than I thought!

Not 10 minutes into my search I heard it. Off in the distance I could hear one of my favourite sounds of early spring...the distinctive "Conk-a-REE!" of a Red-winged Blackbird! I tried locating the bird, however I had to abandon the search because it started to rain quite heavily. I figured I could go back after school and try to get a visual and maybe some photos.

As soon as I got home, I was told that buses hadn't been delayed...they were cancelled! I have no idea why, as it was completely clear out where I was, but I wasn't complaining...now I could spend the whole day looking for blackbirds!

The rain didn't give up until about twenty after ten, but as soon as it stopped I was out the door (without a camera...whoops!). Almost immediately four Red-winged Blackbirds flew over, followed by two more. I found a seventh male loudly singing at the top of a tree. Awesome!

I returned about an hour later with a camera, and although I was only able to find two Red-wingeds, I was happy to watch them singing and interacting with each other.



Long story short, I spent the next few hours riding my bike around, finding Red-winged Blackbirds everywhere I went.

Late in the afternoon, as I was heading home I happened across a group of six flyover Red-winged Blackbirds. Cool, I thought, and decided to stop and see if anymore flew over. Shortly after, I saw about 12 fly over. I realized that they had come from the direction of a marsh which serves as a congregation spot of sorts for blackbirds in spring and fall, so I went to check it out.

I came across a single male Red-winged on a wire.


As I was watching him I noticed a flock of Common Grackles had just taken off from a nearby tree! I looked over and realized that there were more of them! All in all, I counted a total of 41 Common Grackles and 43 Red-winged Blackbirds, exceptional numbers given the date and location.

Common Grackles and European Starings

Although I was thoroughly soaked, it was a great day of birding! I'm sure the Killdeer aren't far behind!

6 comments:

  1. Very nice! Keep up the good work Quinten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were MIA for not posting in a couple of weeks. Lol!
    Yes, the blackbirds sure arrived in numbers yesterday.
    Some Tundra Swan here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lack of content! Hopefully now that the weather is "warming up" I will be able to get out more. I would expect Tundra Swans here is a couple weeks. Spring is coming!

      Delete
  3. This is so cool! I love seeing Red-wings for the first time after a long winter. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always exciting! You tend to grow somewhat tired of them by May though :-P

      Delete