Sunday 17 September 2017

Checking in on my Nature Goals

In January, I made a list of Nature Goals I would like to achieve in 2017. With two and a half months to go, I decided to see how I am doing with them, and which ones I have to try harder at.

Here we go!

1. Observe 57 new species to get my life list up to 300.


So far this year I have seen 37 new species, so I am still a bit off from my goal. I wrote a blog post about this about a month ago.

2. See a Prothonotary Warbler.


3. Go birding in 100 new spots.

When I made this goal, I wasn't really thinking about how I would keep track of it. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say that I have achieved this goal, or am very close to achieving it.

4. See all 5 Great Lakes


It looks like I will have to settle for seeing four of the five. I'll see Lake Michigan one day!

5. Hand feed a Gray Jay.


Success! So far I have fed at least one on all my trips (2) to Algonquin this year.

6. Complete the 100 species Challenge at Point Pelee in one day.

I finally did it! Here is a cheesy little video that for some reason I thought was a good idea to make.



7. See/Hear Wolves


I have yet to hear them, but I did see one running across the road in Algonquin.

8. Find a rare....anything!



I certainly have found some uncommon stuff, and a few local rarities, but I have yet to find something big!

9. Volunteer at a banding station.

Nothing yet, but right now we are in the early stages of me helping out with banding at Hawk Cliff.

10. Complete a "Weekend Big Year"

So far, so good!


I can't wait to see what the rest of 2017 has in store!

8 comments:

  1. One of these days you will find a rarity! Just luck I guess, although some seem to have more luck than others.
    Been some time since I have found a mega rarity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you said that, you're going to look out your window and see a Bahama Mockingbird on your birdbath! :-)

      I think HOSP in Algonquin counts as Mega!

      Delete
    2. I did find a Sage Thrasher once, looking out my window. (It is on the bedroom window list!)

      Delete
    3. It took me about twelve years of birding to find my first mega, a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. That was two years ago.

      Delete
  2. That is a bird that you would think would occur more frequently. I'm surprised that there aren't any records from the past couple years, especially with all the weird things showing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! I bet you have done some cool things too!

      Delete